Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Important meeting

I have a meeting today with Kent Phillips of Star 101.5. He is a radio guru. Here is a bit of info on him that I gathered from komonews.com:
Kent Phillips is a co-host of KOMO 4's live daily talk show Northwest Afternoon. Kent has been involved in radio and TV since age 14, starting as a night host on KZAM-FM in Seattle. He worked in Spokane and Portland before finally returning to Seattle at Star 101.5 radio as a morning co-host of the Kent and Alan show in 1986. The Kent and Alan show is the longest running morning show on one station in Seattle.Phillips worked for Public Television in Portland winning multiple SDX Awards for Outstanding Documentary Reporting. In 1991 he was co-host of KIRO-TV's Inside Line and has appeared in several television shows, including Knot's Landing.Phillips joined Northwest Afternoon in 1994 as a fill-in host for Cindi Rinehart's Soap Opera segment and joined the show as a co-host with Elisa Jaffe in 1996.Some of Kent's favorite interviews include guests from Jimmy Carter to Colin Powell to Donny Osmond. Favorite shows have included poignant programs such as reuniting transplant patients with donor families to fun shows, including wrestling to female sumo champions.Phillips has won multiple SDX and RTNDA Awards for News and Documentaries and the UPI National Award for Documentary reporting. He has been nominated for several Emmy's for Northwest Afternoon and won the Emmy for Non-News Talent in 1998 for a program on transplant patients and their families.Phillips is active in the community hosting dozens of events each year for charity. He has served on the Boards of Starlight Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, Bellevue Civic Theatre, Renton Civic Theatre, Eastside Christian School, Ballet Bellevue and is active as a lay leader in the Presbyterian Church.Free time is spent traveling with his wife Kelley and children Megan and Spencer. All of the family is involved in acting and can been seen acting in local plays throughout the year.Phillips was born in Baltimore, Maryland, but grew up in Bellevue, Washington. He is a graduate of Bellevue High, has a B.A. from Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington and is slowly working on a Master's Certificate from Fuller Theological Seminary.

This is a long winded way of saying that it's pretty darn amazing that I, yes, I have an interview with him. I want to pitch to him my dream of starting a positive alternative radio station here in the Seattle area. I want his help, endorsement, advice, insight, etc. Anything and everything that he is willing to give to me. If nothing else, I want him to know who I am, and what I am trying to accomplish, in the off chance that he would meet someone else and tell them that he met someone who had a dream. I feel like Martin Luther King Jr. "I HAVE A DREAM!". For those of you that don't know what that dream fully entails, I will expand on it later.

I am nervous, excited, full of butterflys, and hopeful. Please pray for me that the meeting goes well today. I will give an update afterwards.

1 comment:

TravisM said...

Wow, Wow, Wow, Erin!

This is so cool, to share your dream with someone in high standing, is amazing. I hope it does go well, it can be nerve racking to share with anyone in any place. We know that you've had this dream for a long, long, time and I am so happy to see you persueing it more! Dreams that are bigger than ourselves are so awesome, require God, and can be so scary to walk out, but the fruit and blessing is incredible!